Training for Health Professionals
There is considerable evidence that suggests professionals in the health and education settings, who may be in contact with clients for other reasons, have a prime opportunity to deliver effective smoking cessation interventions. Furthermore, the evidence also shows that there is increased success for people in quitting smoking when a range of professionals play and active role in providing, advice, support and follow-up.
To increase the capacity of health and education professionals to engage clients in quitting smoking CCACT offers comprehensive training in smoking cessation which can be tailored to your organisation and client groups. A health/education professional training sessions aims to provide:
• a comprehensive overview of the knowledge, skills, and strategies needed to assist you to help your clients to quit or cut down on their smoking;
• an understanding of the “5 A’s” framework as a brief intervention technique;
• information regarding smoking cessation for special population groups (can be tailored to your specific clientele);
• an overview of quitting methods, including the current available pharmacotherapies; and
• supporting information/ referral services available for people wishing to quit smoking in the ACT.
training for health professionals PDF information sheet
Health professionals can refer patients or clients to the Quitline using the Quitline GP Fax Referral Form.