News » New eftpos grant helps protect teens in Amaroo

New eftpos grant helps protect teens in Amaroo

News » New eftpos grant helps protect teens in Amaroo

New eftpos grant helps protect teens in Amaroo

Posted 10 October 2016 in General
201608ShadeforSchoolFacebook600x600v3

Amaroo teens will be better protected from the sun thanks to funding from eftpos’ Shade for Secondary Schools program – providing sun shade at Amaroo School

eftpos will provide funding for an additional 18 high schools across Australia, for permanent shade or a marquee to be constructed on their grounds. This brings the total funding for the Shade for Secondary Schools program to $1.25 million.

Managing Director at eftpos, Mr Bruce Mansfield, said that the company had decided to extend the program after the first round of grants proved to be overwhelming popular and continued to align with the company’s ethos of helping with the everyday.

“We initially provided 45 schools with shade grants, helping protect 28,000 children,” Mr Mansfield said.

“We are delighted to be able to offer further funding to schools who missed out in the first round of grants.

“At eftpos we consider ourselves to be the everyday helper and that couldn’t be truer when it comes to helping to protect our kids from the potentially damaging Australian sun.

“We are proud to be Australian and along with that comes a responsibility for educating people how to be safe in our climate.”

Cancer Council’s National Sun Survey found 61 per cent of Aussie teens spent time out in the open during peak UV on weekends, increasing their risk of skin cancer.

Cancer Council ACT spokesperson David Wild said helping teenagers to be SunSmart – on weekends and at school – was vital.

“Our skin is like a memory bank and remembers all the damage it has received over the years. Once the damage is done, it can’t be undone and much of the sun damage to our skin that causes skin cancers in later life occurs in during our teenage years,” said Mr Wild

“By generously funding more shade structures in secondary schools, eftpos is helping to reduce the overall amount of excess UV exposure teenagers receive. Initiatives like this also teach teenagers about preventing skin cancer – ultimately helping them reduce their risk” Mr Wild said.

“Whether accidental or intentional, unprotected exposure to UV radiation increases the risk of skin damage and cancer.

“We’re urging all secondary school students to reduce their risk of skin cancer by following all five sun protective recommendations.

“Slip on protective clothing, Slop on minimum SPF30 broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen, Slap on a broad-brimmed hat, Seek shade and Slide on wrap-around sunnies when out and about this summer,” said Mr Wild.

Amaroo School Principal Gai Becher said the shade grant would greatly benefit the school’s 600 plus year 7-10 students.

A full list of successful schools can be found at: cancer.org.au/shade-for-schools/

National Sun Protection Survey

The 2013-14 National Sun Protection Survey was conducted via phone over the summer of 2013-14. A total of 6,349 Australians were interviewed, including 1,061 adolescents aged 12 to 17. Conducted every three to four years by Cancer Council, the survey provides a perspective on sun protection behaviours.

Key findings of the National Sun Survey included:

  • 75% of teenagers doing activities in public parks/gardens said shade wasn’t available
  • 68% of teenagers doing activities at sports grounds/centres said that shade was not available
  • 50% of teenagers doing activities at the beach, lake or river said shade was not available.
  • 61% (or 3 in 5) of teenagers were at least half the time out in the open during peak UV on weekends, the remaining 39% were either indoors or mainly in the shade.
  • Of those teenagers who stayed mostly out in the open during their weekend activities, 68% said that it wasn’t possible to do their weekend activities in the shade. The main reason given was lack of shade available for their activities.